Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July: Celebrating America in Another Country





We spent July 2, 2011 watching fireworks at Vogelweh. For those of you from back home that don't know what that is, it's the base where Ruben will be working at next year when they move his squadron.
There was a cute little carnival with all the basic essentials. A ferris wheel, bumper cars, overpriced games, and shitty expensive beer. They also had some live bands that did a bunch of covers of American hits. Although I'm not sure anyone told the last band that "Walk Like an Egyptian" is not very well known by the younger crowd, their set list was outdated to say the least. The first band was awesome though. Everyone loves Germans willing to cover Gnarls Barkley.
The fireworks display didn't start until 10:30 at night, 3:30 pm Texas time. I know that sounds really late but the sun wasn't even fully all the way down yet. Even when the fireworks show was done the sky was still a faint blue. The sun sets very late here and rises very early, like 4:30 am early. It's definitely making the jet lag more difficult to overcome.
The Air Force made the fireworks show worth our while. However, UNT and the Rangers game last year definitely outdid it. It's important to keep in mind we are in another country. One that goes to bed at 10 pm and doesn't care about Independence Day for Americans. Most of the Germans thought that July 2nd was Independence Day. How do you explain that you are just celebrating it a couple of days early? I'm sure they would have thought we were nuts. 
It is very much more apparent how strange everyone does things in the states. Small things like celebrating holidays a couple of days early seem so odd now. I am now starting to question a lot of my daily habits and find myself lost without any sort of routine.
Today is the actual day to celebrate so I am hoping that I will get to see some fireworks. Is that really how to celebrate independence and the birth of a new country? See... questioning everything.
Off to the BX now. I need some converters and tasty German wines.

Love,
Val

No comments:

Post a Comment